September 7, 2014

Antique Wrought Iron Arbor with a DIY Pallet Fence

It's back to school this week for our son which means it's back to blogging for me.  I hope everyone had a great fun filled summer.  I took some time off from posting on my blog this summer to spend quality time with our son.  I still managed to complete a bunch of projects.  I received an antique wrought iron arbor for Christmas 2 years ago.


Antique Wrought Iron Arbor with a DIY Pallet Fence



 I wanted to place it near the front of our house and make it a grand entrance into the backyard.  Since we are building the new addition,  I had to choose another location.  I had to place it where it wouldn't interfere with the construction yet still be a focal point entering the yard.

Antique Wrought Iron Arbor with a DIY Pallet Fence

It's painted black with the rust just starting to show thru showing it's true age and beauty.
We placed it out behind the house and without a fence it just didn't look right.  I made a call and had a load of pallets delivered.  It took me a few days to rip and cut the boards off the pallets.  I used a sawzall and cut most of them since I didn't want to destroy the boards by prying them off and splitting the wood.


Antique Wrought Iron Arbor with a DIY Pallet Fence

Most of the pallets I used were already aged from sitting outside and had that nice gray patina to them. It was just the look I wanted next to the wrought iron.
 It took me about a week to make this small fence since I didn't spend 8 hours a day working on it.  All of the wood used for this fence was from pallets of different sizes including the rails.

Antique Wrought Iron Arbor with a DIY Pallet Fence

I made the gates and added black hardware.  I also made wooden boxes and stenciled them " Fresh Herbs " for some herbs that I use most keeping them close to the house and not having to run over to the main vegetable garden.  I incorporated the boxes right into the fence as I was putting it together.

Antique Wrought Iron Arbor with a DIY Pallet Fence

I added a Lace vine to each side of the arbor.  It is a perennial.  Once it blooms it will have little delicate white flowers all over.  I also added a mix of morning glory seeds (annual) for a pop of color thoughout the white flowers.  The vine is young at this stage.  I look forward to showing you an update of the arbor and vine next season as it matures.

The arbor and pallet fence separate our wood pile making it a focal point when entering the yard from the back deck.  Old and rustic, it looks like it's been there for years.  Another DIY that was easier that you think.

No comments :

Post a Comment

pin it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...