March 5, 2014

Spring Forward

Spring is officially 2 weeks away. Remember this weekend is Daylight savings time. Move clocks forward 1 hour which means longer daylight and hopefully more sun to melt this snow. It is snowing right now as I look out the window. I thought I would try to force spring into my home since it looks like it's going to be a very long time before I see my spring flowers popping up in my garden.


Here are the beautiful Tulips and Iris'  that I received on Valentines Day  (3 weeks ago). I will give you some tips on how to make your fresh cut flowers last longer.

Here are some tips to make your fresh cut flowers last longer.
Store bought and delivery: when you bring your flowers into your home follow these steps:

1. Cut at least 1 inch off the stems
2. Use room temperature water and add the flower food packet that is usually attached to the bunch.
3. Remove any leaves that will be below the waterline so bacteria growth is prevented.
4. On day 3, re-cut each stem , change the water using room temperature water and add some more flower food.

Depending on the length of the stems and the freshness of the flowers, keep cutting the stems and changing the water every week. The stems will be getting shorter so just switch out the vase and it will change the look of the bunch of flowers.

I will cut the stems again today and use the same vase since the stems are very long. Maybe by next week, I can re-cut and switch out the vase, but that's pushing it. This is the first time I've ever had fresh cut flowers last this long and those are the steps I followed.




While the snow was falling this morning, I changed the wreath on the front door to my Forsythia wreath. It will probably be over another month before I even see my forsythia bushes start to bloom. We still have over a foot of hard snow in the yard and snow banks are still waist high in our yard / driveway.


Early Spring is in the air behind this door.


No comments :

Post a Comment

pin it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...