November 30, 2013

How to make a Pine Cone Wreath - DIY

I told you about a couple of wreaths that I made last week for Kim. Here is one of the wreaths and the way that I like to make pine cone wreaths.

pinecone door wreath holiday DIY
For supplies you will need a straw wreath, paint, pine cone, glue gun, ribbon of choice.  I started with a straw wreath,  I painted it with camouflage green paint.  You can use brown too.  I used two different types of pines cones for this one.  I laid them out to dry fit them on the outer and inner edges before I started to glue them with the glue gun.

pinecone door wreath holiday DIY

Since I wanted this wreath to lay flat, I glued the pine cones with the wreath always on the table.  I glued the pine cones to the outer edge first and then the inner edge.  I used the same pine cones for this.

pinecone door wreath holiday DIY 

Next, I took pine cones no. 2 and broke then in half. Some of them I had to cut with my pliers (dikes). I used the tips only ( save the bottoms ) and glued them around the wreath starting with the outer edge first. The smaller tips I glued next to the inner edge working my way towards the center. There should only be a small circle of the painted wreath showing.  I took the bottoms of the pine cones and glued them with the bottom side facing up. Fill that in with the bottoms of the pinecones until all the painted part of the wreath isn't showing.  It should be filled in at this point.  When you look at the wreath you can see the bottoms really stand out giving the wreath a two - tone look.

pinecone door wreath holiday DIY

                                       Now just add the ribbon and it's ready to hang.

pinecone door wreath holiday DIY

                                          This is the back side where I glued the ribbon.

pinecone door wreath holiday DIY

                                                      This is the wreath I made for myself.

pinecone door wreath holiday DIY

This is the pine cone wreath I made for Kim.  Note : it is a messy project but the results are beautiful.  I love that it is a solid clean looking wreath, what do you think ?

pinecone door wreath holiday DIY

No comments :

Post a Comment

pin it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...